How to measure for a fireplace insert
When measuring for a fireplace insert you must get the following dimensions.
- The height and width of the fireplace opening must be determined. The depth of the fireplace is also needed.
- Measure the width of the firebox in the back of the fireplace. This is because they are usually smaller toward the back wall.
- You should measure the damper opening or throat.
- Size of the flue liner (inner cavity).
- The overall height of the chimney. Measure from the floor of the firebox to the top of the chimney.Why do I need to measure the height of the chimney?
- The measurement of the hearth extension in front of the fireplace will be needed.
- Height to the wood mantel above the fireplace opening.
- You must figure clearances to combustibles around the fireplace opening.
- Find out how big of an area you want to heat.
Once all these measurements are gathered, it can be determined what size insert will work in your space for the amount of space you are looking to heat.
Where Can I get a fireplace insert?
Go to top of Insert
Chimney Liner Central.com: The DIY Chimney Liner Resource